10 Even More Things I Like About Living Where I Do

This past Monday I started posting about some of the things I like about living where I do (in Hanover Township, just outside of Hamilton, in Butler County, Ohio). Well, I found out twenty just wasn't enough. So I added ten more. And that wasn't enough. So here are ten MORE things I like about living where I do:

31. The Victoria Theater in Dayton (right). Even with all the entertainment options in Oxford, Hamilton, and Cincinnati, every once in a while I'm so thankful for the beautiful Victoria Theater. We've seen 42nd Street and Spamalot there, and maybe one or two others. With our crazy schedules, the more options the better...and the Victoria is a fine venue anytime!

32. Circle Centre Mall in Indianapolis (left). Not quite two hours from us is the fabulous downtown of Indianapolis, Indiana's state capitol. Unlike many Midwest downtowns, there is a lot to do in Indy, day and night. And the Circle Centre Mall and its surrounding businesses are a great place to spend some time.

33. Affordability. I'm cheap, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Therefore, it would be a ghastly trial for me to live in many metropolitan areas. I've done it, and the prices are outlandish. Not for me. I like the relative affordability of the area I live in. In many communities--some just minutes away--I couldn't afford the home I live in. Eating out and going to a movie don't cost an arm and a leg. Groceries are reasonable. Gas--well, gas is too high everywhere. But, as a rule, this area keeps me from going stark raving mad.

34. The Hocking Hills. Some of the most beautiful country you'll ever see is in the Hocking Hills, in south-central Ohio. It's been too long since I've been there to enjoy it, partly because my dear friend Jim isn't around to con me into going on some cockamamie winter hike. But Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall, it's a blessing to live this close to the Hocking Hills.

35. The Dayton Dragons. First, let me say that it's amazing to live between such major-league cities as Cincinnati (Reds, Bengals, Cyclones) and Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers), along with some great college teams in any number of sports (especially the Miami Redhawks). But another advantage of living in this area, believe it or not, is the Dayton Dragons AAA baseball franchise. Taking in a Dragons game at Fifth-Third Field in Dayton is a genuine baseball experience. Reminds me of the good old days of Crosley Field. Yes, I AM that old.

36. The Abbey of Gethsemani. Okay, so it's not exactly in the area, but this Trappist monastery, just over three hours' drive from home, has been such a blessing to me over the last eleven years or so, I can't even begin to describe it. I estimate I've been blessed by somewhere around twenty prayer retreats I've taken there. Having it as close as that is a very big reason I like living where I do.

37. Cincinnati Christian University. The lovely Robin and I have both earned degrees from this fine Christian university, and count many faculty, staff, students--and the school itself--as valued friends. It's located just a 45-minute drive from our home, atop Price Hill on the west side of Cincinnati.

38. Cincinnati Music Hall and CSO (left). Okay, so I haven't been to Music Hall since a Nutcracker performance a dozen or so years ago. But still, this historic concert hall (and Memorial Hall next door), along with the world-class Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (and Cincinnati Pops) are wonderful assets and enrichments to our lives and community.

39. The Air Force Museum in Dayton (right). The National Museum of the United States Air Force, less than an hour away from us outside Dayton, is an amazing place to visit. I suppose I should have mentioned it in my Monday post when I lumped together all the great museums in the area. Now I feel bad about not giving the Cincinnati Art Museum, in particular, its due. But hey, it's my blog, I can do whatever I want. And I want to say I like living here in part because this great museum is nearby.

40. Hot Fun in the Summertime. During the Summer months, Oxford presents a weekly music festival uptown in the park at High and Main. I LOVE going uptown, spreading a blanket, setting out a couple chairs, opening a cooler, greeting friends, and taking in the music every Thursday night, weather permitting. It's a great, great time, and a big reason I like living around here.

All right, I'm gonna stop there. I could keep going. But I think I've made my point. I like living where I do. Unless and until my children move, I don't want to live anywhere else. And, even in the middle of winter, I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world. Unless my kids and grandkids and friends and church could come, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment