Carmichael's Bookstore, Louisville, KY

One of the many highlights of this past week's little writer's retreat in Louisville, Kentucky, was a visit (all too short) to Carmichael's Bookstore at 2720 Frankfort Avenue (there are two other locations in Louisville, both on Bardstown Road).
I know I've mentioned it before (here, for example), but I love locally-run independent bookstores, and Carmichael's is that. It was opened in April 1978 at 1582 Bardstown Road by Carol Besse and Michael Boggs (the store name is a combination of their first names), and has been owned and operated by them ever since. It is a family business in the best tradition. As the business grew, so did the number of family members involved, and the staff now includes a second generation. The location we visited at the corner of Frankfort and Bayly opened in 2003. The store isn't large, but is clearly a beloved gathering place, hosting frequent author signings and many autographed books.
The children's section (above) is likewise small but well and wisely stocked. The staff was pleasant, attentive, and knowledgeable.
Since I knew that Carmichael's has a close relationship with one of my favorite authors--Wendell Berry (see here)--I bought three of his books, all signed. I wasted no time beginning them all.

As I said, our visit was too short (I blame each and every one of my friends). But it was so fun and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment