Camp Gifford

I had the opportunity last week to pay a visit to The Salvation Army's Camp Gifford, in Eastern Washington state, on the shores of Deer Lake. I'm glad I did.

The property was purchased in the early 1920s when the Deer Lake region was undeveloped (with the exception of logging roads and a few cabins around the lake). It was named Camp Cougar then, and the first camps took place in the mid-1920s, using tents and open fires. The first cabins were constructed in the 1930s, and more were built over the next decade. Also in the 1930s the name was changed to Camp Gifford (in honor of Commissioner Adam Gifford, the first territorial commander of The Salvation Army's Western Territory upon its formation in 1920).

Camp Gifford is run by The Salvation Army in the Spokane area, and serves a large area in Eastern Washington. As you can see from the photos I took while on a walking tour of the camp, it reposes in a beautiful setting...until the campers arrive, of course, at which time all repose ends.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to this place as well. I worked at Camp Gifford in 2004-2005, then 2007-2009. I love it out there! I need to go pay camp a visit!

    ReplyDelete