Afternoon in the Old City

After a fine lunch and shopping visit at Caprice, a diamond manufacturer and merchant, we returned to the Old City through the Lion's Gate:


We took a short walk to the northwest corner of the Temple Mount, where we visited the Pool of Bethesda. We read John 5:1-15, and had healing prayer for one of the members of our group who is scheduled to begin chemotherapy treatments the day after our return. There may be no more appropriate place to pray for healing than here, where Jesus healed the man who had been crippled for 38 years:





Right next to the Pool of Bethesda is the Church of St. Anne, the mother of Mary, on the site tradition says was the birthplace of Mary:


This church, the only intact Crusader church inside the Old City, has some of the finest acoustics you'll ever hear for a capella singing:


When we entered, a group of Polish Christians was singing a song we didn't know. After they moved on, we sang Amazing Grace, How Great is Our God, and How Great Thou Art together. It sounded amazing!

We then trekked a little ways to the bus and returned to the hotel in plenty of time for the start of Shabbat!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Bob:

    I remember the Church of St. Annes as one of the highlights of our trip, the simplicity and acoustics of the church left my heart deeply blessed. We sat in silence as Commissioner I. Gaither sang a capella:

    When shall I come
    unto the healing waters?
    Lifting my heart,
    I cry to thee my prayer.
    Spirit of peace, my Comforter and healer,
    In whom my springs are found, let my soul meet thee there.

    Wash from my hands,
    the dust of earthly striving;
    Take from my mind
    the stress of secret fear;
    Cleanse thou the wounds, from all but thee far hidden,
    And when the waters flow let my healing appear.

    Light, life and love are in that healing fountain,
    All I require to cleanse me and restore;
    Flow through my soul, redeem its desert places,
    And make a garden there for the Lord I adore.

    From a hill I know healing waters flow,
    O rise, Immanuel’s tide, and my soul overflow!

    (SASB 647)

    Thank you for sharing your pilgrimage with us!

    Rhode

    ReplyDelete