Carmichael's Bookstore, Louisville KY

I know I've mentioned it before (here, for example), but I love locally-run independent bookstores, and I've come to know that a visit to Louisville, Kentucky, is not complete without a stop at a Carmichael's Bookstore (there are three locations in Louisville).
So for last week's little "writer's fun day" with a few writer-type friends, I was excited to visit one of the Bardstown Road locations (the other, just a half block away, is devoted to children's books). It was opened in April 1978 at 1582 Bardstown Road by Carol Besse and Michael Boggs (the store name is a combination of their first names), and has been owned and operated by them ever since. It is a family business in the best tradition. As the business grew, so did the number of family members involved, and the staff now includes a second generation.
I made a purchase, as I always try to do, that will remind me of this place. And could have spent the day. But, alas, they don't serve lunch at Carmichael's.

No comments:

Post a Comment