Bender Funeral, Mt. Vernon OH

It was a sad day and a happy day as I journeyed yesterday to The Salvation Army in Mount Vernon, Ohio, for the funeral of Major Wilmer Bender. Major and Mrs. Bender (that's her, above, greeting people before the service started) were my corps officers (pastors) at Cincinnati Citadel Corps, where they served from 1968-1974, if I remember correctly, and the whole family have been family to me since then.
Major Terry Wood (husband of the firstborn Bender, Susan) led the service, which also included tributes from Major Ron Dake, each of Major's children (Sue, Bob, and Bill), a vocal solo by granddaughter Danielle Bender, congregational singing, and more.
Family and friends from all over came to remember and honor this faithful man. I wiped away tears of grief and joy during the service.
A meal following the service gave me a fun chance to catch up with many friends, including the above crew, with whom I worshiped, served, and sometimes stayed out of trouble at Cincinnati Citadel (l to r, Major Gayle (Krider) Senak, Bill Bender, me, Jeanne (Kirby) Howard, Mrs. Major Helen Bender, Major Charlie Dietrick, Major Cathy (Kirby) Young, Major Susan (Bender) Wood, Major Bob Bender, Major Christine (Kirby) Dietrick). Many more good friends were there, and it was a joy--as it always is--to see the depth and blessedness of Salvation Army fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment