Travel Regrets: Charles Dickens's House, London

I've been blessed to travel pretty widely for a man of my limited intelligence and means. Still, as I've mentioned before on this blog (here, here, and here), I have some regrets.

One regret is not having visited the only surviving London home of Charles Dickens (who lived in the above house at 48 Doughty Street from 1837 until 1839) when we visited London some years ago. This is the home where he wrote Oliver Twist and Nicholas Nickleby. It is now the Charles Dickens Museum, containing manuscripts, rare editions, personal items, paintings, and period furnishings. It is a mere three miles from the Tower of London, which we visited. and just 2.5 miles from 221B Baker Street and Madame Tussaud's, which we also included in our itinerary.

Of course, a tourist can't do everything. Hard choices have to be made. And I may be able to correct the omission on a future visit. But still, if I had it to do over again, I would have liked to have found a way to pay homage to one of my favorite authors.

2 comments:

  1. If you do go back, you might also like to visit Ferguson House where there is a mural carved into the wall featuring Dickens and some of his characters. I finally found a link to show you what it looks like, http://beyondtheblueplaque.blogspot.com/2011/12/charles-dickens15-17-marylebone-road-1.html

    When I went with my Wheaton-in-England group, I created a walking tour guide, for future students, full of Dickens sites around London. I probably have it somewhere in my reams and reams of papers downstairs. He was my favorite author back in my college days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog , I really love your writing style that you are using for your posts and stuff,

    ReplyDelete