20 Places I Plan to See Before I Die (Pt. 2)

I started listing yesterday the twenty places I plan to see before I die (unless in God's loving providence he takes me to heaven sooner than age 70). Here are five more:

6. Athens. In 2012, the lovely Robin and I hope to host our first ever "Journeys of Paul Cruise," which will take us to sites #6-11 on this list. The first stop will be the historical and architectural splendor that is the ancient city of Athens. The Acropolis. The Parthenon. Mars Hill, where Paul preached his famous sermon to the Athenians.

7. Corinth, the city that inspired at least three letters of Paul (of which two survive). Here I'll be able to stand on the Bema where Paul stood. Aquila and Priscilla also lived here.

8. Thessaloniki (Thessalonica), the city to which Paul wrote two of his New Testament letters. He lived here during the winters of 49-50 AD. I want to visit the Roman Agora where Paul preached, and the monastery of Vlatadon, built on the location where Jason’s house is believed to have stood and where Paul stayed during his residence here.

9. Istanbul. The Hagia Sophia, one of the most unusual and amazing churches of all time. And the Topkapi Palace. And the hippodrome.

10. Ephesus, in present-day Turkey, the marble city where Paul spent three years of his ministry. I want to see the ancient Agora where Demetrius, the silversmith, sold his silver shrines of the Greek goddess Artemis and enter the Great Theater where Paul spoke.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment