10 Places I Would Love to See Before I Die But Probably Won't

These last few days I posted 20 Places I Plan to See Before I Die. I thought I'd add ten more places that are probably pipe dreams. But you never know. In no particular order:

Lhasa, Tibet.The seat of the Dalai Lama, the capital of Tibet, and one of the highest capitals in the world. The Norbulingka summer palace and gardens to the southwest of the city were constructed in the 18th century under the 7th Dalai Lama.

Venice, The city that stretches across 118 small islands in the marshy Venetian Lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy. Called by some the most beautiful city built by man.

The Forbidden City. Situated at the center of the ancient city of Beijing and built between 1406 and 1420 during the Ming Dynasty. It consist of 90 courtyards and palaces, 8,704 rooms and 980 buildings.

Tahiti. An island in French Polynesia in the southern Pacific Ocean. I would wanna stay in a place like this!

The Great Wall of China. It was built, rebuilt, and maintained between the fifth century BC and the sixteenth century to protect the northern borders of the Chinese Empire from Xiongnu attacks during various successive dynasties. The majority of the existing wall were built during the Ming Dynasty. It's the only manmade object on earth that is visible from space.

Mont Saint-Michel, the small rocky island on the north coast of France at the mouth of the Couesnon River in Normandy. A medieval Benedictine Abbey and steepled church occupies most of the 1 km-diameter clump of rocks jutting out of the waters of the English Channel.

Key West. Not just because it's the southernmost point in the Continental U.S. Also because it's the last of the Florida Keys. And because of the Hemingway associations.

St. Catherine's Monastery, Sinai. Perhaps the oldest working Christian monastery in the world, this Greek Orthodox monastery sits at the feet of the traditional Mount Sinai, where Moses received the Ten Commandments.

New Orleans. Definitely NOT during Mardi Gras, but I would like to experience the architecture, cuisine, and music of this unique city.

New Zealand. Like many, I was a sucker for the New Zealand I saw depicted in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. It strikes me as one of many positive and persuasive answers to the question, "Can pleasure travel be a form of worship?"

1 comment:

  1. My sister and brother-in-law were stationed in Key West and when my oldest son Bryce was 6 or 7 we visited them. It must have been a beautiful, but very sad, appointment for them. Lots of ministry and work, but when I attended the Sunday morning service, my sister preached to (or perhaps AT) me, her husband, and the piano player.

    ReplyDelete