Church Retreat, Old Orchard Beach ME


This past weekend the lovely Robin and I journeyed to Old Orchard Beach, Maine, to conduct a retreat for The Salvation Army corps there. We met with part of the youth group on Friday evening and spent much of the day Saturday studying the Bible and talking about becoming and being a "dangerous church." 
What an overwhelming welcome we enjoyed from many, many dear friends from years past (notice I didn't say "old." I wouldn't do that. Because they might say it back). 
The discussion and response from everyone was gratifying, and I only regret that they didn't accept my suggestion that I just scrap all the content I had prepared and just spend the day reminiscing and catching up with each other. Sad. 
On Sunday morning, we were blessed to once more sit under the instruction of Lt. Colonel Sharon Berry in a Sunday school class and then worshiped with our friends, led by our dear friend Corps Sergeant-Major Ian Anderson (above). 
The band (above) provided sensitive musical ministry, as did the songsters (below), along with an offertory by Craig Evans and stirring congregational singing of a sort one seldom hears these days. 

To top it all off, I got to preach, and my efforts were tolerated pretty well by everyone. Well, mostly everyone. I thought I saw corps officer Major Bryan Smith checking his email at one point, but I would never say so.
We were generously hosted all weekend by our friends Faith and Ian Anderson (above), who after church took us to Two Lights, where we took the above photo. We couldn't have been better treated, and could not possibly have enjoyed ourselves more. Thank you to CB Crowell, who suggested us as guests, to Majors Bev and Bryan Smith, who expertly coordinated our participation and with whom it was a joy to reunite, to Faith and Ian who treated us royally, and to all who received us so lovingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment