SWONEKY Family Camp

I had the inexpressible joy and privilege this past weekend of teaching and preaching at The Salvation Army's Camp Swoneky for the annual Family Camp held on the grounds every year around this time. 

Camp Swoneky is a place of great beauty and blessing--truly holy ground to me--and an important place in my spiritual history. It is also the place where the lovely Robin and I first began dating, and the site of our first kiss (they haven't yet erected a historical marker on the spot, but I'm sure that's in the works). 

The theme for the weekend was "Take Time to Be Holy," drawn from my soon-to-be-released one-year devotional based on the writings of Samuel Logan Brengle. On Friday evening, I presented a costumed monologue as the holiness warrior himself (that's me, below, waiting backstage). 
I was also blessed to teach a Saturday morning Bible study on Biblical Holiness, and preached three times over the course of the weekend (the photo below was taken Saturday evening, I think). 

It all could not have gone better in my view. The weather was perfect, the weekend's events--including a Saturday groundbreaking ceremony for a new swimming pool to be completed by next Summer--were perfectly planned, swimmingly executed (see what I did there?), and enthusiastically participated in by nearly 700 attendees, so many of whom are dear friends of many years. The only things that could have been better would have been if the lovely Robin had not come down with a terrible sinus infection that laid her up nearly all weekend...and if copies of Take Time to Be Holy could have been made available to everyone there but, alas, it turned out not to be possible. Still, it will be a joy I will carry with me for a very long time, and which I pray will have a life-changing and enduring impact on many lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment