Pinch Me Places: Stratford Upon Avon

In 1995, the lovely Robin and I traveled with Aubrey and Aaron to that "green and pleasant land" that gave birth to the U.S., where we were hosted by our dear friends Nigel, Rachel, Samantha, Carlene, and Dathan Horridge for a tour of England. While there, of course (OF COURSE), we visited Stratford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace and hometown of William Shakespeare.

This is me (above...right in the center...no, really, that's me, the silly American in the trench coat with a camera hanging from his neck) exiting Shakespeare's birthplace and first home. The Bard grew up here and played here. He ate meals in the hall and slept and dreamed in those rooms. He spent the first five years of married life in this house with his new wife, Anne Hathaway.

Shakespeare's house. SHAKESPEARE'S HOUSE. Did I mention: SHAKESPEARE WAS HERE? THE Shakespeare?

Not only that, but previous visitors to this spot have included Charles Dickens, John Keats, Walter Scott, and Thomas Hardy. I didn't happen to recognize any of them while I was there, but neither did they recognize me, so I guess we're even.

And, of course, included in our day at Stratford-Upon-Avon (I just like saying that) was a visit to Anne Hathaway's cottage where, obviously (judging from the photo above) Aubrey was saying something utterly baffling to Nigel. Although his face always wears that look, so maybe not.

But did I happen to mention: SHAKESPEARE WAS HERE! And I was, too. Though it all seemed so hard to believe, I probably literally pinched myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment