The Mill, Marion, Indiana

I ventured out this evening into Marion, just a few miles west of my hotel in Gas City, and stopped for dinner at The Mill, on the eastern banks of the Mississinewa River.

Nearly the first sight to greet me as I climbed the stairs to the spacious second-floor loft of a restaurant was a "Miami of Ohio" banner. I asked my server about it, and she later (after inquiring) told me that the boss is an alumnus!

The Mill is, not oddly at all, an old mill, now operating as a deli on the first floor and restaurant/bar on the second floor. The fare, however, was nothing like bar food.

The crab cakes were quite good, if a tad too long in the deep fryer. The salad was also fresh and well presented.

For the main course, I had steak oskar and shrimp with vegetables and baked potato. These were all cooked just about perfectly.

I also tried one of the house's "dollar desserts," a creme brulee that, despite the foil wrapper, was a credible effort.

The server was attentive but not overly so. The soundtrack was seventies rock. And the scenery--even at night--of the river rushing past was very nice. A fulfilling (and filling) experience.

The Mill is located at 1001 N. Washington Ave. in Marion (765-664-4637).

No comments:

Post a Comment