Old City Council Chambers

On my impromptu tour of the Heritage Hall in former Hamilton (Ohio) Municipal Building at High and Monument Streets, my guide took me through the former city council chambers for the city of Hamilton (above). It's a beautiful room, still very nicely kept, at the center of which (behind the dais) is a large mural.

The mural by artist J. A. Willard, who also painted the murals at Hueston Woods Lodge just a few miles away, depicts the establishment of Fort Hamilton, which would have enclosed the very spot where the mural stands. The figure at far left is General Richard Butler, for whom Butler County (of which Hamilton is the county seat) is named. It made me sad that so few people see this painting these days. But I did. So I'm happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment