St. Meinrad Library Art Exhibit

While visiting St. Meinrad Archabbey in south-central Indiana last weekend, I stopped in the library on the grounds as soon as it opened (9 a.m.) Saturday morning.
I had learned from an informational brochure that there might be an art display in the library, and I was not disappointed.
On display were many paintings (see above) by Kazhia Kolb, who studied at the Sorbonne and the École des Beaux Arts. She has lived in the U.S. since 1978 and in St. Meinrad (the town) since 2006.
Also shown were the works of Keith Armstrong (above and below), a woodturning artist who focuses on exposing the beauty of the imperfect grain found in cast-off pieces of burl, tree forks, roots, and limbs.
His work is made only from trees that have already fallen or are dying and must be felled.
I was entranced by his pieces, and could have photographed every single one. But I didn't.

As it turned out, I was fortunate to see this show, as the artists arrived just as I finished to disassemble the display and pack up their pieces. I'm so glad I got to see the work of both of these artists. It added much to my Saturday morning of prayer and contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment